Enjoy summer fun without getting hurt! The next 4 weeks we'll discuss some Tips to Keep You Safe this Summer, from Sun & Heat to Bugs & Burns.
The sun's rays may feel good, but they're no friend to your skin. Here are 9 Tips to Keep you Safe in the SUN:
- Wear sunscreen every day, in all weather and in every season. It should have a SPF of at least 30 and say "broad-spectrum" on the label, which means it protects against UVA and UVB rays. Put it on at least 15 minutes before going outside.
- Reapply sunscreen at least every 80 minutes, or more often if you're sweating or swimming.
- Wear sunglasses with total UV protection.
- Wear wide-brimmed hats, and long-sleeved shirts and pants.
- Avoid being out in the sun as much as possible from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Check your skin regularly so you know what's normal for you and to notice any changes or new growths.
- Choose cosmetics and contact lenses that offer UV protection. You still need to use sunscreen and wear sunglasses with broad-spectrum sun protection.
- If you're a parent, protect your child's skin and practice those habits together.
- Don't use tanning beds.